BackPack

By: FZ AZ

[Recommend this Fotopage] | [Share this Fotopage]
View complete fotopage

Sunday, 14-May-2006 02:33 Email | Share | Bookmark
The Ghavam Orangery (Narenjestan Museum)

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
At the end of the eastern part of Zand Avenue is a large house built in the last century (1881) by Mirza Ebrahim Khan with the assistance of a master mason. Being a significant monument of the Qajar period, it is located on the northern side of the luxuriant Narenjestan (orangery) Garden. In 1965, the Narenjestan was handed over to the Asian Institute and Shiraz University, one of its halls being transformed into a museum. This is the house where Professor Arthur Upham Pope spent 50 years of his life.
The doorway leading into the Narenjestan, covered with delicate glazed tiles, is flanked by small-carved stone platforms; the ceiling and the entrance vestibule are decorated with brickwork and stalactites. Thus the luxury and the elegance of the building catches the attention of the visitor right from the start.
The building, like all Persian houses, faces the Qiblah (direction in which Muslims turn during prayers). Its most outstanding feature is a large crescent-shaped feature is a large crescent shaped tilework on the brow of the structure, depicting a lion and the sun in the center, and two leopards devouring deer on either side. The stone panel bordering the floor of the rooms is carved with pictures of riflemen of the day and, imitating Persepolis, with the immortal guardsmen and the king in the process of killing a bull. The museum’s collection of photographs and slide, initiated by Professor Pope, is also preserved here.



View complete fotopage


© Pidgin Technologies Ltd. 2016

ns4008464.ip-198-27-69.net