BackPack

By: FZ AZ

[Recommend this Fotopage] | [Share this Fotopage]
View complete fotopage

Wednesday, 31-Jan-2007 11:50 Email | Share | Bookmark
Armenia - Part 5 :Fotos by Dr Siamak J

 
 
Sevan Lake
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Lake Sevan (Armenian: Սևանա լիճ, named Gegham Sea (Գեղամա ծով) in ancient times) is the largest lake in Armenia and one of the largest high-altitude lakes in the world. The entire lake is situated inside the eastern Armenian province of Gegharkunik. It is fed by 28 rivers and streams [1]. Only 10% of the outgoing water is drained by the Hrazdan (Razdan) river, while the remaining 90% evaporates. Along with Lake Van and Lake Urmia, Sevan was one of the three great lakes of the historical Armenian Kingdom, collectively referred to as the Seas of Armenia, and it is the only one within the boundaries of today's Republic of Armenia. Sevanavank is the historic area near the lake.

Before human intervention dramatically changed this ecosystem the lake was 95 metres deep, covered an area of 1,360 km2 (5% of Armenia's entire area), had a volume of 58 km3 and a perimeter of 260 km. The lake surface was at an altitude of 1,950 m above sea level.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Sevan




View complete fotopage


© Pidgin Technologies Ltd. 2016

ns4008464.ip-198-27-69.net